KaaliTales was started in 2013 as an opportunity for children to re-think the traditional gender roles underlying fairytales. Four years later, we are expanding the initiative into an open competition allowing anyone to write modern fairytales aimed at children. The stories must be engaging, age-appropriate, have interesting, varied characters and plots, and must attempt to teach feminist values.
As with the previous editions, the best entries in each round are edited and adapted, illustrated and published. This year we intend to bring out the first print version of Kaalitales. The best entries received in this round shall be published next year after a thorough process which involves adjudication, adaptation and illustrating the Kaalitales.
- Entries must be in English only. They must be suitable for children in terms of language, content and style. Translations of entries in other languages accompanied by the original writing are also acceptable.
- Each participant could send up to three entries for consideration. Co-authorship of stories is allowed.
- Each entry must be at most 2500-3000 words in length.
- Only original stories are permitted in the entries.
- Plagiarism is strictly discouraged and will result in debarring the participant(s) from participating in future editions of KaaliTales.
- Entries are preferred in third person, and in a historical setting, but do get creative! And a whiff of magic never hurts. 🙂
Parameters of Assessment
- Relevance to feminism
- Originality and creativity
- Diversity in Plot and depth of character development
- Writing style
First: Rs. 6,000/-
Second: Rs. 3,000/-
Third: Rs. 2,000/-
Each prize shall be awarded to only one entry.
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com by August 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. Entries submitted after the deadline will not be considered.